Facebooked

Good news everyone! I'm on Facebook now!



I'm sure a lot of you were already aware of this fact but, I figured I could make something out of my short time on Facebook and the reasons as to why I stayed away from it up until recently.

When I was younger, I was into MySpace. I enjoyed it, a lot. I liked being able to share my musical tastes on the front page of my profile, the different backgrounds I could choose, the blogging interface and the ways to show who and what mattered most.

I can't remember what caused so many people to jettison away from MySpace in the early '00s but, there was only one other option, Facebook.

When I first saw Facebook in the early 2000s', I did not understand the UI (User Interface) at all.



Facebook was not as well laid out as MySpace. The UI issues I had with Facebook are still noticeable after all these years. You have to click on every single individual thing to edit it and even then, you still don't really know what changed until you go all the way back to your profile to look for yourself. I had two identical graduation dates showing on my profile until my Mom showed me how to delete one of them. Apparently, she and many others had a similar issue as well.

Everything I post on my timeline is not my "status". Sometimes I just want to share an article, video, blog post, or photo I noticed from another place on the internet. Other times I just want to say whatever comes to mind when I'm surfing around.

Like so many others, I wanted to stay away from Facebook because of all the conflicts. Politics, Religion, Money, and even Sex being posted on public profiles. This was not an issue when MySpace was around and if it was I honestly don't remember it. The most controversial thing was your "Top Ten" and after a little reshuffling and 24 hours, most people had forgotten what they were upset about in the first place.

Facebook has bred a whole new level of cringe on the internet. Grammatical errors, misspellings, and phrasing make the everyday person look like an absolute fool on a regular basis. To the point where I would say most people shy away from posting anything they have created or written themselves.

Earlier today, I saw a post where a few Christians were taking a stance against The Pope and Catholics over a difference in political ideology. Just because you're don't agree with each other doesn't mean you have to completely dismiss them altogether.

Facebook allows you to showcase whoever or whatever you are or want to be, but remember if you're willing to be a certain kind of person for the entire internet to see you better be ready for whatever response you may get in return.

Comments