Disconnected


When people respond to certain politicians by saying, "You're unfit for office.", I think this is what they are referring to.

To be honest, he isn't entirely wrong just, disconnected from the current environment. 

I live in a town of fewer than 15,000. I would have to use the internet to apply for a job at Burger King because they no longer give out paper applications. This goes for Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sonic, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy, and many other companies as well.

It is the main reason that state-funded career centers have access to the internet. In the last decade, I myself have applied for several jobs through the internet, one of them was a work from home position as a retail and merchandise vendor. Without internet access, I would not have been able to perform the most basic functions of that job.

Not only is this a concerning stance to take in a day and age where technology and especially the internet is so widely used. The United Nations Human Rights Council has listed access to the internet as a basic human right.



I give some leeway to the fact, that this gentleman is a Representative of Wisconsin. I'm sure that a lot of Wisconsin's population categorize the internet as a luxury expense and just don't have any place for it in their day to day cheese making but, that isn't the case for a much larger portion of Americans.
The internet has been around for too long for any politician to write it off as non-beneficial for their constituents regardless if they currently have a use for it or not. Think of what a dairy farmer could do if they sold their products direct to consumer. What could they do in buying, selling, and/or trading cattle? I don't even know if that is even a thing anymore but, it does raise the question, how in the world did I come up with these scenarios before an actual elected Representative did?





Comments