Signing Out



Updated: 11-27-2020; Clarification, Spelling, and Grammatical Errors.



It's official. I'm leaving Facebook. No longer will I subject myself to the ideology of those who can't actually enounce anything more than, "I dislike you, for no particular reason at all, other than, you're different from me."

It's tiring. Incredibly tiring. It took less than 2-years for me to get enough of Facebook, at least, enough to know I have zero interest in partaking in the continuous back and forth waves of anti-social practices.

To start, I joined Facebook after President Trump was elected, but I had already heard enough stories to know getting onto Facebook later in the game, was going to be a trial by fire.

Little did I know, my own family and friends would be the people I was supposed to be watching out for.

After blocking family members for their wayward political beliefs including, "The Killary Conspiracy and Pizza Gate", "Trump is a good Christian man.", and "Iowa Representative Steve King is not a racist.", should have been enough for me to have figured out, Facebook is not for me.

Then I had friends weighing in with their hateful thoughts on subjects like The Nike Boycott, gun control, and how they felt about those who identify as being a part of, "The Left", myself included, to a point where I have felt sub-human far more times than I care to admit.

At this point, I can honestly say, after being alive for 36 years, I don't know where I fit in, or even if there is a place where I do, but I do know, Facebook is not the place for me.




I held on to Facebook, believing open civil adult conversations could only occur there. I was wrong. I am wrong.

I've been subjected to discrimination, prejudice, intolerance, bigotry, homophobia, Islamophobia, xenophobia, racism, sexism, misogyny, all for what? So someone else could get a laugh by hurting others?

The last thing I posted to Facebook was a cautionary tale of what Facebook can do to others, I told people how important it is for them to think for themselves. Don't just agree with, like, and share everything you see on your Facebook feed. Read it. Fully understand whatever it is trying to say. Then make a conscientious decision for yourself.

But no, people are so content with being a part of something, they will allow others to do all the thinking for them.

Case in point. A person who I unfriended on Facebook back in January shared a post clearly soaked with Islamophobia. I didn't try to explain myself, I simply unfriended the person who shared the post. Then I wrote a smaller "Facebook Exclusive" piece explaining what I believe Facebook should or should not be used for. Two months after I had originally read the posted Islamophobic "meme", 49 Muslim people were gunned down and killed in a mass shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand, which, happened to be live-streamed on Facebook.

What you say on Facebook matters.

There's nothing more I can do for Facebook at this point. What's done is done. The people who enjoy Facebook, good on them.

Apart from my own personal reasons, I'm shocked Facebook hasn't already had a large user drop with all the individual scandals they've faced.

For example, The Cambridge Analytica scandal. Taking money from Russian bot farms during President Trump's campaign, which lead to the data breach in late 2018. Then, the Congressional hearings where Mark Zuckerberg was clearly unaware of the impact Facebook has, day to day on everyday users.

Facebook is a virtual mire showcasing the worst of the internet, covered over with cheap prosthetics and clown makeup in the form of an occasional video or picture set of someone's pet, child, or a humorous web-comic.

If I could think of another way to promote my projects, I would delete my Facebook account entirely, but I can only strip down my personal profile to a mere skeleton.

If it isn't directly related to any of my own projects, you won't find me on Facebook.

Comments