*Tweet*... *Tweet Tweet*... *TWEET TWEET TWEET TWEET TWEET TWEET TWEET*


Edited on 05-07-2018: Grammatical Errors
Edited on 11-27-2020: Grammatical Errors



................


The internet is a great place to express yourself in words. Whenever I'm working on a new blog post I feel like I'm venting out loud to my best friend. I find it very cathartic. With so many different platforms to choose from for communication, if you really want to be heard or have an open conversation, you have to see each venue for what they truly are.

Twitter is the one platform, so commonly misused. I see people creating long winded threads. Twitter threads are rather easy to mess up and difficult to follow, no matter how savvy the user may be.




Twitter is also infamous for its limitations.

Another reason why I find it kind of funny to see people trying to divulge their opinions, feelings, beliefs, or entire life stories in such a way. If you have something worthy of being said on the internet that takes more than one tweet to get across, you're in the wrong place.

Twitter should read like a one-liner comic's routine. Quick, easy to read, and interesting enough to make people want to hear more from you in the future.

Twitter isn't some magical agent of change. It is an agent for links, which may possibly contain information changing the way you think.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Twitter. I find myself visiting the site less as time goes on. Trends have shown there has been a 2 million user decrease in the last quarter alone. Maybe Twitter was cleaning the house. Maybe 2 million people are thinking along the same lines as me.

Is it time for Twitter to change? Are they staring down the barrel of the same gun MySpace was not too long ago?

Make no mistake, there are alternatives to Twitter waiting in the wings, for the right time.

App.net, Path, Plurk, and Tumblr.

Of course, these platforms have their limitations and issues as well. If any of them gain access to large financial backers or a larger user base, Twitter could be in serious trouble.


Comments