Apathy.com

When I first started blogging about 5 months ago, I didn't have any laid out plans. I knew I had worked a myriad of jobs in the area I live and none of them worked out the way I had hoped they would. I've thought about being a writer to some degree since I was in High School. This isn't the exact path I thought I would take to get there but, I still get to chase a dream.





I feel the need to talk and tell stories and get my opinions out there. It is a part of who I am. I know everyone has a story and everyone has an opinion. It doesn't make me special. The difference between what I write and what others think is exactly that. I write. I speak out. I talk about the way people, places, things, and current events affect me.

I don't have an agenda. I'm not an extremist in any way, fashion, or form. I often find myself being the self-proclaimed "voice of reason" in many instances. As much as I enjoy talking, writing, and having conversations, I am no stranger to verbally shutting down ineffectual small talk or offensive language, and for what it is worth, I've never been in a physical fight my entire life even though, I can guarantee you there have been people who wanted to take a shot at me. Take that however you see fit.

The events in Charlottesville have taken up the majority of my thought process this past week. In all fairness, the reason why these things happen is that we allow them to. "We", as in we all do. How many times have we seen a hateful comment online and not bothered to report it?

In the aftermath, I'm glad I took a stance about what happened in Charlottesville. I've grown tired of idly sitting by and just trying to do something for family, friends, or myself only. Especially when sometimes it feels the whole world conspires against my wants and needs.    

I was a part of the, "We" for a long time. I've said and done things out of hatred, differences, or ignorance. I grew older. I learned a lot about myself throughout life and spending time with other people and realized I was wrong.

Charlottesville was avoidable. I truly believe these events don't have to be regularly committed by Americans, against other Americans, on American soil to remind us of how far we've gone and why we shouldn't always pine for the past.

I have a project focusing on political discourse and having open conversations. It is without a doubt, my least popular project even at this juncture in time. I know why. I don't even have to ask.

I'm sure someone said it before she did, but a member of my family once said, "Doing nothing, changes nothing.".

Start talking. You don't have to make a full blog post about it, but you can do something through social media or even in real life and you should.

Comments