Are Video Games >, < , or = Work?

Millennials are victims of blunt force trauma from the media at this point. Depending on who you ask, I fall into this generational category.

When us millennials are not occupied with the internet and social media, Netflix and chilling, or just generally being lazy. We're conspiring to "destroy" many different foods, drinks, goods, and stores, ranging from J. Crew to diamonds, golf to fabric softener, Home Depot to movies, and even bar soap. 

Our "hit list" is random and seems to have quite the spectrum of collateral damage, considering, I've shopped at J. Crew, quite a few times, when I actually had money to spend, my parents have often complained about the movies I enjoy and the size of my massive DVD/Blu-Ray collection, and I have no clue as to how anybody else is washing themselves clean without bar soap and a washcloth.  

The majority of things currently caught in the headlights of millennials, waiting to be run down like the unwanted stray dogs they are, won't have any real bearing on as to how the rest of society or the entire world will function, without them. I mean, I enjoy doorbells too, as much as one person can enjoy a doorbell I suppose, but I also know how to knock or make a phone call if needed. 

Other items on the list do concern me, deeply. The 9-to-5 workday, working in general, and "The American Dream". Oof, ouch, alright, you can have your anxiety-inducing, "Someone's at the door!" alert systems back.

Many articles are finally discussing why video games have become the more prevalent use of millennials' free time and why some millennials are working less or even, in some cases, not at all.  

NBC News and The Atlantic, have my favorite articles, exposing the reasons for leaving the real world behind, for a more enjoyable virtual substitute. 

I've talked about my work experience in other blog projects, but this post will reach the bottom of my stance on this matter. 

My love for video games goes back to when I was four years old. I grew up with an Atari 2600 controller in my hand and I've experienced several other home consoles and even had a long stint as a raider in World of Warcraft. Video games have always been a part of my life, for better or worse. 

When I lived in Kentucky and it was too hot and humid outside, I would play video games. When I lived in Wyoming and it was unbearably cold outside, I would play video games. When I didn't have any friends to hang out with, I would play video games. When I was at home, sick from school, I would play video games.

I'm often accused of being an "escapist" because of my video game "addiction". I play video games to "escape" from something in real life. Not always, I find video games are only an alternative. Other people like to hunt, fish, read, garden, or they have another hobby. Video games are my hobby. I don't see people accusing avid hunters of shooting animals because they are "escaping" from their want to kill in real life, but instead worked out a deal with park rangers instead. 

Video games are often classified as "anti-social", *cough cough*. No, not all video games are anti-social. Hunting is not really a social hobby, even though, you should never hunt by yourself. Safety first, kids. Fishing is not necessarily a social hobby, but who wants to drink alone? Gardening is not really a social hobby either. MMORPGs, short for, massively multiplayer online role-playing games, broke the mold on the social dynamics involved in video games and I enjoyed this particular aspect a lot. I finally felt like I had found a group of people outside of my family, who would allow me to be included in and even, in some cases, lead their circle.  

Video games are extremely popular and take up the majority of people's leisure time because they've grown up alongside them and they enjoy playing them, especially when the rewards are equal to or even in some cases, greater than what they're getting out of their current job(s).

The job pool where I currently live is abysmal and shallow. The low-end jobs, don't afford me a financially independent life outside of my parents' house and the high-end jobs, are looking for a more qualified candidate or the intake of stress will not be worth the payout. There is no in-between or compromise at this time. I decided to occupy the empty space by addressing work, free-time, enjoyment, and mental health all at once, I started writing.          

Funnily enough, these are lessons I've learned in part, from video games. I've worked at McDonald's, Wal Mart, and Ruby Tuesday before. I started at the bottom with each of these companies and worked my way up to being an Opening Swing Manager, Customer Service Manager, and Server Trainer respectively. I started out at level one and worked my way up to level 8, but couldn't get past the last boss. I grew tired of fighting the same boss battles after 12 years of "okay" results followed by 4 years of "GTFO DIAF", I realized I was burnt out and didn't want to keep playing the same game. Similar to my experience with, Dark Souls, on the PlayStation 3 at less than 60 fps.

In the end, my work history still exists and proves I'm one-hundred percent hireable and promotable, even within a team setting but, it doesn't mean a lot at this time, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, Applebee's made the millennial's "hit list" as well, but Applebee's deserves to die. Trust me on this one. Later, "Cr-Applebee's"...

Comments